SEO for Startups (Nonprofits too!) in Under 10 Minutes

SEO and Google

SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, is something I get asked about a lot by clients and students.  Most have at least a vague idea of what it means, but many have huge misconceptions about why and how to do it.

Wikipedia defines Search Engine Optimization as:

the process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine’s “natural,” or un-paid (“organic” or “algorithmic”), search results.

So its basically making sure folks can find your website when they search online.. and specifically when they search Google as they have the vast majority of the search market.  While this is a fine definition, I think many folks get into trouble with SEO when they start trying to game the system.  They learn about all of the latest “tricks” that will boost their website higher in the search engines and then are surprised when it does not work or they get penilized for said tricks.

Google is smart.  They hire the biggest brains they can fine to improve the system, or algorithm as they call it, that decides what web pages to show or not show.  Do you really think you have the knowledge or time needed to figure out how to trick these guys?  My money will be on the guys that get

paid full time to figure this out and are highly trained to do just that.

So what advice do I give about SEO?  In the most basic sense, just write good content that you think people will actually be looking for and enjoy reading.  That will get you 75% of the way there.  The other 25% is actually summed up well by Google themselves.. or more specifically Maile Ohye in the video below.

So, how many of those tasks are you currently doing or have done?  Would you like to see us write more on SEO and how nonprofits can better do it?  Let us know below in the comments.

 

 

About Rich Dietz

Rich Dietz has spent his entire career working both in and with a wide variety of nonprofit, political and government organizations as well as technology companies focused on the nonprofit sector including Sage Nonprofit, Convio and KIMBIA. It is this unique background and experience – working directly in nonprofit organizations AND working on the technology side – that allows him to better understand and assist nonprofit organizations with their technology needs. Richard holds a M.S.W. from the University of California – Berkeley as well as a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA.

2 Responses to “SEO for Startups (Nonprofits too!) in Under 10 Minutes”